The New ISO 45001:2018 Standard: Save lives – reduce losses – improve your image – keep safe, keep healthy.
The new ISO 45001 standard promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing a framework for establishing an occupational safety and health (OSH) management system that allows contractors to identify and reduce their OSH risks, reduce potential accidents and assist in legal compliance. CIDB promotes ISO 45001 certification to contractors.
The ISO 45001 Standard
The ISO 45001 occupational safety and health management system prescribes best practice requirements to improve worker safety and health as well as enhance organization’s OSH performance. The ISO 45001 has the potential to be a real game changer in preventing workplace injury and ill health for those who are working at construction sites.
The new standard also focuses on business impact, business risk and conducting business in a moral and ethical way. With an international benchmark in place, more construction businesses are encouraged to take the step towards having a safety and health management system in their organizations.
Significant changes in ISO 45001 in comparison with OHSAS 18001?
- change in high-level structure of the standard
- better integration with business activities and management systems
- greater involvement of top management in the safety and health management system
- focus on risk-based thinking
- more specifics on identification of hazards
- greater emphasis on workers consultation and participation
- reduce or eliminate safety and health risk to workers in the supply chain (contractors, procurement and outsourcing process).
The structure of ISO 45001:2018 standard is shown below.
Risk Based Thinking
ISO 45001 takes a risk based approach to managing occupational safety and health. The standard advocates taking a preventative angle to occupational safety and health in order to identify what activities and processes could harm those working on behalf of the organization and others (i.e. visitors, members of the public, etc.) and to meet any legal compliance requirements. Identifying hazards at work is a prerequisite to eliminating or minimizing those that pose a significant risk.
Employers have a duty to either reduce exposure or equip employees and workers with preventative skills and tools to minimize risk. It is their responsibility to protect their employees and workers.
Employees and workers can suffer serious consequences as a result of simply “doing their job”. Prevention is key to tackling the burden of employee and worker safety, and is considered to be more effective (and less costly) than treatment and rehabilitation. ISO 45001 takes on a risk based approach to managing occupational safety and health.
The Benefits of ISO 45001 OSH Management System
The ISO 45001 based OSH management system will enable an organization to improve its OSH performance by:
- developing and implementing an OSH policy and OSH objectives
- establishing systematic processes considering the organization’s context and take into account its risks and opportunities, and its legal and other requirements
- determining the hazards and OSH risks associated with its activities; seeking to eliminate them, or putting in controls to minimize their potential effects
- establishing operational controls to manage its OSH risks and its legal and other requirements.
- increasing awareness of its OSH risks
- evaluating its OSH performance and seeking to improve it, through taking appropriate actions
- ensuring employees and workers take an active role in OSH matters
How Sysnovate can help your Organization?
Existing Certified Companies – Solution for ISO 45001:2018 Transition
Sysnovate Solutions offers guided toolkit called ISO 45001:2018 Transition Program for companies certified to OHSAS 18001:2007 standard migrate to ISO 45001:2018 standard. The program includes OSH system documentation preparation, trainings, implementation supports, pre-assessments and preparation for certification. Through Sysnovate Solutions’ consultancy and guidance, companies will complete their transition journey successfully and attain ISO 45001 certification.
New Companies – Seeking for ISO 45001:2018 Certification
Sysnovate Solutions offers guided toolkit called ISO 45001:2018 Certification Program for new companies seeking for ISO 45001:2018 certification. The program includes preparation of OSH management system or integrated QSH management system documentation, trainings, implementation supports, pre-assessments and preparation for certification. Through Sysnovate Solutions 3 Simple Steps of Certification, companies will complete their ISO 45001 certification successfully.
Sysnovate is a management and lean-agile consulting firm providing consultancy and training services for organizations in the property development, construction, engineering, facilities management and related sectors. Sysnovate places emphasis on 3 core pillars: people, process and technology. Its services are focused on integrated quality, environmental, safety and health (QESH) management, ISO management systems, QLASSIC quality assessment system, process and productivity enhancement, lean management and continual improvement.
Training Course from Sysnovate
Sysnovate Solutions offers the following training courses:
- One-Day Awareness Course, “Implementing ISO 45001:2018 OSH Management System in Construction”
- One-Day Internal Auditor Course, “ Auditing ISO 45001:2018 OSH Management System”
Get your company certified to ISO 45001:2018 standard.
Register your interest by contacting us or replying this email for your ISO 45001:2018 Transition Program or ISO 45001:2018 Certification Program. Call us at 603 4045 8502 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org